Friday, April 4, 2008

And So It Ends. . .And Begins

Training is officially over. We swore in last Thursday at the Ambassador's house. It was absolutely beautiful. The yard is huge, I saw carpet for the first time in like literally 3 months, Laura and Andrew gave amazing speeches. It was great. . . And there were sandwiches and brownies after. . . Then we had a weekend of celebration and goodbyes in Antigua before we separated to our respective sites. I already miss my friends and fellow volunteers and host fam!

So, my new life in Guatemala has begun. I'm now in my site. . . It's a smaaaalll town next to a bigger town about 1.5 hours away from Antigua. It's adorable and my new host fam is great. I've taken up weight watchers again. . . I've put on 5 lbs since I've been here thanks to my old host mom Lupita and all that bread. I'm surprised it hasn't been more! So, there's a gym in the next town over that I plan to frequent frequently. . . I'm finally cooking for myself which is great because I don't have to eat carbs carbs carbs at every meal. . . they are delicious but unfortunatley my thighs think so too.

We've basically been assimilating this week, getting comfortable, getting to know the town. My new house is great, my room small but roomy enough. I life with a woman who I think as about 40 with her 17 year old son and 6 year old daughter. The husband I have yet to meet as he only comes home on the weekends. There are 4 other houses in the same patio where Seño Dora's (The lady of my house) sisters and mom live, so it's a pretty happenin' place, if you must know.

We officially begin working on Monday, which is pretty exciting. It's the reason we are here, after all. Training was a great experience, but let's get to work :)

As always, I just want to tell you all that I miss you much. . .

XOXO
Jess

PS: You can look at pics at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2223400&l=a3fc4&id=3300351

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO weight watchers. Love you, miss you!